Total Pageviews

Monday 20 June 2011

Game of Thrones Finale


And it's all over until next year. What's a man to do? No basketball, hockey, or Game of Thrones on TV?

The show enjoyed a stronger second half of the season. The pacing was better and there were more shocking twists. Even a few of the actors honed their thespian skills to a finer degree (I am looking at you, Jason Momoa and Emilia Clark).

So much so, I didn't even notice the abscence of my two fave actors of first season, Sean Bean and Harry Lloyd. Losing two of the most inspired characters in the first season would hurt most new shows, but uh-uh in this case. Well done!

As regards to the last episode, I don't think the strongest scene was the dragon hatchings. Being very familiar with the novels, I knew well what was to come. The scene I enjoyed the most was the voice over of Jean Mormont as the Night Watch left the Wall. Being an ex-army brat, they got that scene just sooo right. Watch the ranger descending the stairs with his overloaded rucksack on his back in said scene. Thumbs up, D&D.

The pacing was fantastic in this episode. The acting dead on. I always watch with admiration Michelle Fairley's (Catelyn Stark) face when she needs to portray emotion. She's a gifted actress.

Sansa and Robb developed over the season. We see more of the fan favourite Hound's character conveyed in little snippets. Varys and Littlefinger still have their ongoing verbal sparring scenes (which I enjoyed far more in this episode than an earlier one). Even Pycelle is developing more depth?!?

I liked how they borrowed the Arya chapter from A Clash of Kings. Maybe that will develop more time for the Battle of the Blackwater????

I think my favourite character now with Bean and Lloyd exiting Is Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont. He nails the chivalrous knight in every scene.

It's been a great season. It's going be hard to wait until Season 2, but still a little exciting knowing they have a bigger budget to play with next season and D&D announcing more CGI and wolf scenes. And the show as a whole will even get better.

Until then, I'll have to leave the world of Westeros and just have to make do with an appearance of certain book that took a 6 year wait to transport me back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment